Thursday, February 5, 2009

Every year I look forward to...


Call me a sap.



I must be getting old.



Ever since we moved here, the local radio station that I listen to, 105.1 the buzz , does an annual 'Valentines for the CCA' readio-athon. They are on the air for 28 hours raising money for the Children's Cancer Association. I am completely drawn to it. They talk to some amazing kids. They have some really inspiring stories. They have some really heartbreaking stories. But through all this, they have fun...the families are amazing. They explain where your money goes, they have music programs, therapy programs, chemo pals...

I think sometimes I listen because I am so scared of one of my own kids getting sick. But I also think I listen because it strengthens me to hear so many people be so generous. They raise an amazing amount of money. Donations come from lots of local hot spots for auction packages. A local car dealership is raffling off a brand new Honda fit for a $25 donation. To me, that's an awesome community! It makes me proud to know that I live among these kinds of people.

Sooooooo....if you've got a few minutes...click on the link above and listen online for awhile. You're heart will be warmed. (oh, and if you've got some 'pocket money' as I call it, you know the dollar or two or five that gets stuck in your pocket, make a donation. You know. If you want.)

(oh, and click on the picture to go directly to the CCA auction and donation place)

Oh, and so far...in their first 3 hours on the air...they've raised more than $30,000. That just makes my day.

2 comments:

Carrie said...

yay!

Kelly said...

I love listening too,I wish they would do it twice a year!