Monday, September 1, 2008

Summer Catch All

Ok, so I kind of felt like June and July dragged on with nothing really exciting happening, then all of a sudden it's September! What happened to August...oh, yeah that's right we had tons going on and it all flew by. Aside from a few major events I haven't blogged much about how we've spent our time. We have had so much fun the last couple of weeks, the summer has definitely gone out with a bang. I am sorry for the neglect I have shown this blog, and for phone calls that didn't get returned quickly...and for all the fresh fruit and veggies we neglected to eat in the last few weeks! Here's a quick run-down of skipped over fun moments:


Catching up with old Friends: We are so excited to have our old Maryland friends Eric and Chrissy Jacobsen move home! Chrissy and I haven't gotten our schedules handled enough to hang out too much, but we did have a fun summer afternoon where the kids played in the yard, swam in the dinosaur pool and had a picnic lunch. We laughed as we herded 6 kids between us...when we first met 6 years ago we only had 1.5! The kids all got along well, even if Chloe wasn't feeling super good. It is funny that Ella and Brayden are the ones that are the same age, but it's Ella and Audri that act like two peas in a pod. We're so excited to have friends near, and Jeremy's excited to have a lunch buddy in Eric!


The Gladstone Chautauqua Days Parade: Since Jeremy's office has now officially changed names and is under new ownership they decided to take part in the tiny community festival called Chautauqua (I have no idea if I am spelling that right) Days. For a small little town, they sure go all out for this festival! A parade kicked of the weekend with all other sorts of festivities from bands to vendors to carnival rides. Jeremy's office decided to walk in the parade so we all donned our Gladstone Family Dentistry T's and walking shoes. Makenna rode in the wagon with all of the free goodies that were being passed out. Brayden and Audri had fun throwing candy (sugar free gum and anti-caries lollipops) and giving out free hygiene kits. People were really excited and loved it. Since the office is on the main parade route they set up a booth outside and had patient info and a meet the drs. session. It was pretty successful...and pretty good free advertising! Also, did I mention that Brayden and Audri walked the whole way? I have never in Audri's almost 4.5 years seen her walk that far. It was impressive. Oh, and we won 3rd place of parade participants...but I think it's just cause the judge got paid off with a toothbrush!

A Short Hike:Our relief society has been getting groups of sister together to go on some hikes around town. We are so lucky to live near so much beautiful nature, and we have not been avid hikers so I thought that one of these hikes would be a good start. We hiked to Little Zig Zag Falls, which I was promised would be an easy short hike, all a must since I was undertaking this adventure by myself! I didn't know if I should go, but we did, and I am so glad! It was a perfect hike for the kids, short and not hilly. They were all able to walk the whole thing (except I did end up carrying Makenna towards the end because she was picking up ever stick and rock she laid eyes on) At the end was a pretty good sized waterfall. I was a little nervous having them close the the river bank and edge of the waterfall, but we found a calm little spot where they could play in the water and be safe. I was lucky to have some wonderful ward sisters that helped me, especially when Brayden wanted to cross the water and Audri had to go potty. I am sure this is a little hike we will have to show Jeremy soon.

A Visit from Salt Lake Grandpa: It was fun to have my dad from Salt Lake come and visit for a couple of days. We managed to pack a lot of stuff into a short visit. We went Trillium Lake for a picnic, had dim sum (authentic Chinese Breakfast...not for the squeamish ;), another trip to the beach, and some sightseeing around town. The beach was beautiful! We were prepared for some unfriendly weather at the beach, but it turned out to be one of the most gorgeous days I have spent at the beach. The kids had a ball in the water and flying kites. My dad also took us out to dinner on our last day...to the Original Roadhouse Grill. Brayden has not stopped talking about it...he LOVED that you could eat peanuts and throw the shells right on the floor...I think that he's secretly hopping I'll catch his enthusiasm and let him throw everything on the floor at home!


A day of Fishing with Dad:After we went to Trillium Lake, Brayden was seriously disturbed that we didn't bring fishing poles. So, to make him feel better, Jeremy promised to take him and Audri fishing before school started. They made a little dad/kid outing out of it and splurged on Mcdonalds for breakfast (ok, those of you who know us, know that's not splurging too much) They went to a nearby trout farm where you pretty much throw the hook in and watch the fish chase it. Brayden and Audri each caught two fish and were so excited! I wish I was as excited about eating them (ick!)




Last but not least:And I can't believe I don't have any pictures of this! Brayden has officially graduated to a two wheeled bike! Today while Jeremy was out shooting poor card board boxes and paper targets Brayden learned how to on two wheels. It was so fun to watch him go. Once he started he picked it up fast. Now...just to learn how to work the breaks and we're set!

9 comments:

Ashley said...

How fun for you and Chrissy.

About the short hike - I remember seeing your family for a walk around Morningside Heights and I think Brayden called them "nature" walks. Poor kid had no idea. Good thing you can go on real nature walks now.

Selena said...

Ashley...I totally forgot about our 'nature' walks! That's hilarious...maybe it's good to start them out with low expectations so you can dazzle them later on! ;)

Liz said...

Holy crow! WHEN have you had time to BREATHE?! Looks like you had fun doing all that stuff tho! :)

TD Quong said...

Wow! Thanks for the update, that was a big one! It's about time ;) Everytime I check your blog it just makes me want to come out and visit and do all those fun things with your family. But let's trade the Roadhouse Grill with Cheesecake Factory, okay?

KatieB said...

how fun to have marylanders nearby!

Eric said...

Jeremy can buy me lunch anytime. We'll have to save a seat for Haskett in a few months.

Chris and Sarah Seymour said...

Looks like you guys had a fun summer. I can't believe how fast the kids are growing. How are you dealing with Brayden in all day school now?

emily said...

didn't realize the jacobsen's were moving right next to you! how nice that is to see old friends and pick right up where you left off. where exactly do you each live? how far from seattle???

Nicole said...

Wow, you weren't lying when you said you we're busy :). Looks like fun though. I'm totally impressed you went on a hike with 3 kids. Maybe I won't rule that idea out the next time Dave brings up going on a hike? Thanks for sharing!