Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Meet my new friend, Rob Thomas of Matchbox Twenty


Yep, that's Rob Thomas with his arm around me, Jeremy, and Paul, also of MB20


On Wednesday (of last week) Audri had her OMSI field trip (more on that later). Jeremy took the day off to go with us, but he still had to go into work for the monthly staff meeting. SO, while he was at work, we drove around cause the girls were asleep and I was listening to the radio, and they were giving away the new Matchbox Twenty CD and a entrance to a drawing to win concert tickets and backstage passes to the concert on Saturday in Seattle. I decided I wanted to win (HA! I thought to myself. but I was killing time driving around). I heard the magic song, so I got my speedy finger out and dialed. It was busy and I never did get through, but I didn't really expect to. So, after picking up Jeremy we decided to get a car wash and they were giving the CD away again...if you could answer the question. Just as we were going to enter the car wash I call. It rang and rang, and rang. The d.j. answered. Told me to hang on. Picked back up and asked me what the answer was. I answered. I was right. I won't go into the gory details of that interview. It was quite embarrassing...and i didn't like to think about it the rest of the day. Yes I won the CD and yes I was entered into the drawing...but I sounded like a complete idiot on the radio. Oh, well. Live and learn. I decided that if I won the concert tickets and she called me on Friday (cause that was when they were doing the drawing I would be ready and be much more radio-worthy-yeah. like I thought that would happen). Friday came around. She said they would announce it in the morning. So I waited. I wanted to see who the lucky winner was! I waited and waited and nothing, so I had to get on with my life. I went to the grocery store and picked up kids and made lunch. And then she called. I won. I wish I could say I was a bit more radio worthy this time, and I was, but only by a bit. How would you react to a phone call like that?!? Never-the-less. I was going to Seattle (ok, and Jeremy too...). I was going to meet Rob Thomas!

Thankfully Grandma was good enough to babysit, we are so grateful for that! Seattle is about 3 hours from us...so we had strict instructions to be to the arena by 4:30 and NOT BE LATE. Amy from Atlantic Records would meet us. When we met Amy she took us in the arena (there was a group of 'gold ticket fan club members' that I think were slightly miffed that we got to go in while they were still waiting). She led us to a long hallway where we waited for the guys to finish rehearsing and come say hi. We weren't allowed to take our own pictures, but she took pics of us in groups. Rob put his arm around me! After pictures the guys came through and talked to each and everyone of us (there were about 16 of us in all). They signed our picture and CD's. They made small talk, and they were all so incredibly nice. And short. I don't know why I thought they would be taller. They were very careful to talk to each person...not just the group of 4 they happened to be around. One guy, the bassist, Brian found something personal to talk about with everyone...and he remembered who he was talking to. He wrote something different about his conversation with you on your cd/pic. I was very impressed. It wasn't a great amount of time, but it was just right. I hope I didn't say anything too dumb...did find out that the guitarist's wife, Kyle-(the one with the long hair), is from Bel Air, MD. We then had time to get a bit to eat and get ready for the show. It was awesome! There was a band that played before called MuteMath, which we really liked. Alanis Morisette also played, and she was really good (brought me back to my high school days!) The concert didn't get over until 11:30. Then we drove home, and with the time change we ended up rolling in about 4:00 AM! Not bad for a couple of old married people. We had so much fun, it was truly a once in a lifetime experience that I'd do again in a heartbeat!


ok, here's the whole pic, of the whole band...I just wanted to zoom in on the most famous person I have ever met.

My signed CD and Ticket



Jeremy's pic. Maybe he'll hang it in his office




Before the show in front of the Seattle Space Needle



The Guys from MuteMath. The drummer is the guy in the blue in the middle, he's crazy!



The view from our seats. I took a pretty good pic huh?

20 comments:

Jodi Nelson said...

Oh My Heck !!!! I never win anything! You won! How cool is that. And you have your picture with Rob Thomas. To die. I was just listening to him last night on someone's blog playlist. How uberly cool. LOL.... Great pics! Glad you could go! What awesome grandparents. ;o) Good to hear from you too. ;o)

Shana said...

So really MB20 is my all time favorite band.. I know kinda nerdy but I love them. This post made me SUPER JEALOUS! But I am so glad that you shared and I could live that vicariously through you. Way to be lucky.

Christine said...

How awesome is that??!! Such a great story - and what a fun memory you will now have!! So cool.

Kate said...

Okay, can you say LUCKY DAY? Oh my word! Things like that never happen to me. Sounds so fun. I haven't been to a concert in years. Did you record your radio interview since you loved it so much???

Carson Calderwood said...

Awesome. We are big Rob Thomas fans so we are definitely jealous!

Where The Wilds Things Are said...

That is incredible! I U2 concert tickets once, but I didn't get to meet them. WOW! Oh, I hope you don't mind I added your blog to my links.
Emily Price

s g said...

what? I am so jealous...looks like so much fun...a trip to Seattle, a great concert and you got to meet them...how fun. You never think you are going to win one of those things, but look at you..that is awesome!! Glad you had fun!!
sara g.

emily said...

in the voice of napolean dynomite... "LUCKY."

i would love to hear that interview!

Selena said...

I hope no one ever hears that interview...except for my mail lady. I was picking Brayden up from the bus today and she was at the mailbox. I have never introduced myself to her, talked to her, anything. As I was passing by, I said hello, and she said 'hi. I heard you on the radio last week'. I wanted to die. Luckily she heard the semi better one of Friday!

Carrie said...

Ummmmm...Selena, can I have your autograph? ;-)

KatieB said...

I LOVE ROB THOMAS! so jealous!

Rachel said...

Law of attraction in action!! Way to go!

Nanci said...

So cool! You have to tell us about that interview....come on!

Carter Family said...

That is an incredible story. Congratulations.
Bryce

Chrissy said...

So fun! What a great concert to go to and then meet the band! Wow! What a cool mom you are!

Amanda said...

Next time WPOC is giving away awesome tickets, I'll have to have you call for me. I've gotten to the ringing stage but they've never picked up--I even had five phones calling simultaneously the day they gave away front row tickets to Toby Keith-- Nothing!

Kira said...

You have some of the best luck! What a fun night.

Liz said...

HOW AWESOME! I'm TOTALLY JEALOUS! :) You guys have some GREAT PICS! :)

Mother 25 - 8 said...

Do you have any idea how much you could've made if you had eBayed those tickets?!?!?!?!?!?! :0)

Awesome story Selena! LUCKY (Napolean Dynamite sound effects added.)

Carrie said...

So, I'm thinkin' since your sister's leaving today that the LEAST you could do is bless us with another blog post? I mean, I know you're all proud of your new friend (ROB THOMAS) but really... spend some time with your other friends too! ;-P ROFL! Just kidding Selena!