
Well, finally after weeks of 'is it time for me to go to school today?' Brayden got to start his first day of kindergarten! I must admit, that unlike a lot of other mom's posts I have read, I was excited to send him off. He was just as excited to go, so that made things a little easier. It probably also helps me that he is only in half day kindergarten, so he's really only gone from 7:20 (isn't that ridiculously early for a little kid to be going to school?) to 11:00 AM. We met his teacher and toured his classroom/school on Wednesday

. His classroom seems to be well stocked and his class is pretty small, which makes it nice for the teacher and the students. His teacher, Ms. Jacksha, is new this year, so I really don't have any preconceived ideas about her. She seems enthusiastic and seems to really love what she does, so hopefully that will make all the difference. Brayden took that first day very seriously, laying out all of his new clothes on the floor so he could decide which shirt to wear. His first real day was yesterday...and I do admit that put

ting him on that school bus was the hardest (though I still did it, and didn't shed a tear) mostly just because he was SO tiny compared to the other kids. He got there just fine and seemed to have a good first day. Though his return trip made me a bit nervous cause the bus was a good 10+ minutes late and bad things started going through my head! I hate to admit this but I actually called the school, to which this is the response I got "Well, he's not here" Gee thanks. S

o helpful. I'm just glad the bus turned the corner before I actually connected to the bus barn (yes, that's really what they call it). I had visions of a shy Brayden riding around for hours cause he was to timid to yell 'HEY! I'm still on this bus! Take me home!' But it all turned out good and he made it home safe and sound :) They hunted for bears around the school and ended at the Principal's office where they got a treat of teddy grahams. He also experienced his first recess and played with a girl from church, which made me happy, cause I was mostly just afraid he'd have no one to play with. I think the most telling discussion of his day went something like this:
"Mom, there were kids at my school that had lots of cavities."
"Really, why do you say that"
"Cause they had brown spots on their teeth"
"Oh, yeah? How did you notice that?"
"Because they had they're mouths open at me!"
(which at this point I was starting to get nervous because I was thinking kids were being mean and making faces at him)
"Why did they have their mouths open at you? Were they making faces at you?"
"No, they were just talking to me, and I looked at their teeth"
(and for some reason, I really did take a pic of him brushing his teeth the morning he left for school. Maybe we're an obsessed family?)
Yeah. Ok. No denying who his dad is. Anyone else see a father-son dental practice somewhere in the future? So, anyway...we had a good first day of school and look forward to actually going for more than one day in a row! (There was no school Friday, seems like after working a day and a half the kindergarten teachers needed a 'prep day') Yay for Brayden!





6 comments:
I'm with you on being ready to send your kid to kindergarten.....because it is the funnest grade to teach!!! I can't wait to help Rex with his homework, go to school functions, and work on those prereading skills. I know, I'm weird.
I can't remember right now, which one, but either Brennon or Christopher fell asleep in the back of the bus one day and NEVER made it home! Talk about panic! The bus driver had taken the bus back to the bus place (in Gresham) and still didn't know he was there! I TOTALLY know how you felt and have called the Bus Barn many times myself! LOL...
hilarious about him checking out kids teeth! thanks for adding another worry to my list....Emma is the last one off the bus and it didn't even cross my mind that she could be forgotten! thanks alot! i'll have to get the number to the BUS BARN handy.
Dr. Brayden, nice! I am so glad that you didn't cry. I don't feel so terrible now because I didn't either. I need to get that post up one of these days!
Yea, what a big day! I'm glad he's so excited and didn't have any problems with the transition. I used to wish that Kylie had half day, but now I feel bad admitting that I love all day...The mini dental examinations cracked me up! And I LOVE his school, it's beautiful. I'm also in love with all those trees. Keep posting pictures of all the scenery there and you just may end up with a new neighbor :) By the way, when schol starts do you ever wish you were teaching? Every fall I get those feelings, but they usually don't last too long :)
Hopefully the brown spots don't deter Brayden from making friends with these kids. Maybe he can bring toothbrushes instead of birthday cupcakes on his big day.
Post a Comment