Sunday, May 6, 2007

Happy 30th Jeremy!

30! That sounds old! (sorry to all of the many friends we have who have crossed/met that milestone ;) For Jeremy's 30th birthday we got away from the kids!!! Well, really Jeremy had a invisalign class that he was going to go to in Seattle so I decided to tag along and Jeremy's parents were so great to watch the kids. This was our first weekend away without any kids (well, I guess we were 'away' when we were a ma and pa on trek, but I don't count that too much cause we didn't even get to sleep next to each other on the hard ground with nothing over our heads!) It was so fun to be able to hang out together and explore Seattle. I had never been there before so it was all new to me. We left after work on Thursday night and stayed in downtown Seattle. I was apalled at the rates of hotel rooms...but I guess that's where the phrase 'work write off' comes into play. While Jeremy was at his class I had visions of catching up on my scrapbooking (think what you will, but I know lots of people who were jealous of me! ;) Well, after lounging around all morning while Jeremy was at his class, I got to work and finised two pages. Then we met for lunch at his conference and everyone tried to get me to stay for the last part of his class. I told them this was my break from the kids and needed 'me' time so they let me go. I walked around and found plenty of shopping to keep me busy and Jeremy ended up getting done early so we headed over to Pike's Place Market and down to the waterfront for dinner. It was a little chilly but NOT raining so walking around was nice. We went to Ivars for dinner because that's where Jeremy remembered going when he went to Seattle with his family as a kid. Personally, there were WAY to many birds around for me, but I suffered through it. At the market Jeremy found a Chinese bakery that reminded him of Hong Kong and was longing for a specific pastry they were out of. Sooo...we went back in the morning and waited around for 40 minutes to get some hot off the press, and I do have to admit those Gai Mei Bow's (or however you spell that, let alone say it) were good! A bread thingy with warm coconut filling. Very good. After that we went to IKEA and, wow. The Seattle IKEA is huge. I mean massive. There were two separate PARKING buildings. Needless to say we spent a lot of time there. After browsing awhile, we made lists of all the big things we want to buy when IKEA Portland opens this summer. Then we headed home.

Yeah, so we get a weekend alone, and the first night we forgot the camera in the hotel room. The second day I was determined to get some pics of us. Well, as you can see this is all we got. After snapping two pics and one video at the Pike's Place Market of the famous fish stand the batteries died. We weren't even in any of the pics. Oh, well. At least you all get to see this nasty 'Hello I'm a monkfish' !


While we were away, the kids had fun with Grandma and Grandpa. Brayden had a field trip to the Oregon Zoo...where his favorite thing was 'the elephant that peed and pooped and ate all at the same time' yeah, I about choked when he said that, but it sure was funny! Audri and Makenna did great, I don't really think they missed us much, which I guess is a good thing. All in all we all had a good weekend, and I hope Jeremy had a good birthday...so happy birthday to my hunny!

4 comments:

s g said...

ok..I am dying..we were in Seattle this weekend too. Greg played in the UW dental golf tournament while I hung out with the kids...you hit all the right places..oh we love Seattle!!! It is a great place!

Carson Calderwood said...

Congrats old man! Welcome to the club.

Chrissy said...

How fun to get a weekend alone! That hasn't happened to us yet, but we are anxiously waiting!! Happy late birthday Jeremy!

foreveryoung said...

Happy Birthday! What a fun getaway, I'm so jealous! My brother-in-law had his big 30 on the same day, small world! Speaking of small world, my friends the Chapmans are friends with your friends the Calderwoods, it's like a little blogging family!