Well, one of them anyway.
When I was little my Grandpa and Grandma owned restaurants in the Salt Lake area. They had a few of them before I was born: The China Food Kitchen and The Beach Boy are the two that I can remember. They also had two that I was alive for: The Hawaiian and King Quongs. The Hawaiian and King Quongs were both pretty big themed restaurants...sort of like the Mayan is in Sandy UT today. They were big buffet style places with a tiki/island/tropical theme.
The Hawaiian had a stage and Friday and Saturday nights would have live entertainment. Upstairs was the buffet and downstairs was the stage and regular dining with a waiter/waitress. The downstairs also had a lightening and rainstorm show that would go off periodically. I don't remember a lot about this restaurant because I was really little when it was open.
King Quongs however I remember very well. I spent a lot of time there as a little kid. My dad would pick us up from school and we would hang out at the restaurant until my mom came to pick us up after work. King Quongs was also buffet style, with the option of ordering off of a menu. When you walked in there was a giant robotic gorilla (you know, cause of King Kong, but not King King, King QUONG, ha!). I'm talking huge. Sort of reminiscent of the the animatronic things at Chuck E Cheeses. The controls for the gorilla were behind the front desk. It was SO fun to make the thing move when some poor unsuspecting person was standing right in front of it! Ah...the memories. I have lot of memories of helping in the kitchen, fresh dinner rolls, rice pudding, and cream of mushroom soup, sitting at the front table with my grandma and grandpa, sitting with my grandparents friends who were 'regulars' at the restaurant, and playing in the party room (a huge walled off room towards the back) while we waited to be picked up. I never really realized how out of the ordinary my early childhood years were...that was always just the norm for me.
After my parents divorced when I was around 9 I didn't go there as often. It closed a few years later. I often think that if I could go back in time and do one thing, I would go back to the restaurant and eat some of my favorite things: the rice pudding (with ice cream!) and cream of mushroom soup. (Weird things coming from a Chinese restaurant, I know) and when I ate them, I would savor it, knowing it would be the last time I was going to eat it. That's the thing is you never know when that might be the last time you do something. (ew, that sounded kind of depressing and morbid...didn't mean for it to be, it's just a plain and simple truth)
So, anyway...my famous moment. This is a picture of me eating a shrimp for a newspaper ad that ran in the Salt Lake Tribune for the Hawaiian. I think I was about 5. The words read 'Love at First Sight' with me holding the shrimp. I have a print of the actual ad, but it is poster size so I couldn't figure out how to scan it and put it on here...but this is the picture! Wasn't I a cute model? I didn't get paid, but I did get to eat the shrimp for real afterwards!


"Love at first sight"
9 comments:
wow I should have asked for your autograph sooner. what a great story. who decides what a normal childhood is anyway. I think you turned out ok
Very cool post! I wish I had a picture of my famous moment. Thanks for sharin.
Wow. I don't like seafood so I can't say that pictures looks appetizing to me. LOL! I'm now even more glad I know you. Now I can say I have a famous friend!
Ahhh!! The Hawaiian - a Tait Family Favorite! That's where I first met most of Richard's family. We probably saw you running around that place as a little cute adorable kid!
I never knew this about you and I love that I got to learn something new! How awesome is that picture..super cute, what a great story, you led such an exotic life!
I have fond memories of eating at King Quong. I would go there for my "special day" with my Grandma every year for my birthday. I LOVED that big gorilla. The food amazing and atmosphere was SO cool!
i was thinking more of pulling the tops of cherry tomatoes... peeling boiled eggs... ahhhh the good times...
What a great story. It's so neat that you have those memories to share with your kids:) Times like those are ones to cherish and hold tight. Great picture!
Was it at The Hawaiian that you opened a giant bag of flour? And Ty told me about how you'd play in the banquet room and jump from chair to chair. Was the ground lava? I don't remember now, but those stories make me laugh! No, not so much a normal childhood, but a cool one!
I remember King Quong's. I went there when I was little-- I remember because I was scared of the gorilla!! So we could have met years and years ago! Tyler and I were meant to be!
Post a Comment