Saturday, January 30, 2010

A 7 year old's heartbreak


Today, Brayden had one of the saddest days of his life. All because of the above picture. He has been saving up his money to buy this Battle Stikers (I don't even know what it does, but he is really excited about it) set. He even ate a spoonful of plain salsa for $2 (did you ever eat things for money? I remember eating a piece of liver for $.25 and a jalapeno pepper for $1. Wow, how time has inflated prices-but I digress) He used his latest tooth fairy money and was all set to go to Target today to buy it. (he was really funny btw, cause he knew he had seen it at the Target in Clackamas and when we went to Fairview he was convinced they wouldn't have it and it wouldnt' be the same price.)

When we got home, he wasted no time opening the box and getting it ready to set up.

Only to find out that it didn't work.

We tried everything. Changing the batteries. Reading the instructions. Checking the battery terminals. Checking the 'spinning plate'. To no avail. I don't know why it didn't work. Jeremy didn't know why it didn't work. And Target is too far away to run to to take it back. Brayden was devastated. He sobbed. He cried. You would have thought he lost his best friend. I felt so bad. Jeremy felt so bad. He had been saving and waiting for today. But what do you do? I was tempted to run to Freddys and replace it (it was more expensive there), but decided that probably wasn't the best idea...even though that's what my heart really wanted to do. We told him just 2 days. We'd go Monday and exchange it. He was still so sad. He'd be ok. Then he'd wander into the kitchen and see the box and get teary again.

And, though I felt sorry for him. It was starting to get a little old. And then I thought of something to cheer ME up: I am so glad that Brayden is a BOY. If he had been a girl and this sensitive, I'm not sure we would make it through the hormonal teenage years. Thank goodness for little miracles.

Here's to crossing our fingers that we get one that works on Monday.

3 comments:

Carrie said...

Poor Brayden! Oh man!! I really really hate it when things like that happen. UGH! I'm glad it wasn't a girl thing either. It would be amazing for a girl to save their money like that! ROFL!

Kelly said...

That is super sad! I'm impressed he saved his money! Noah got one for Christmas and still hasn't quite figured out how it works....Good Luck on Monday!

TD Quong said...

That is the SADDEST story ever! Poor Brayden. I would totally be tempted to run to the store and replace it too! I hope he got a new working one?