Sunday, August 26, 2007

Take Me (or should I say PUT) me to (IN) the Zoo.

After being chastised by my friend for not keeping up my posts here goes. I guess I've left you all sitting at the edge of your seats wondering how our grand zoo adventure was! Well, the wait is over. It has actually been awhile since we went, so I'll try to remember all the vague details. The nice thing about Jeremy having Mondays off is that we can do some of this kind of stuff on a weekday instead of the weekend and avoid all the crowds! NOT. Apparently the zoo is crowded no matter what day in the summer, add that to the fact that the sky was blue with nary a cloud in sight mixed with a cool 75-80 degrees...it was perfect and I think a lot of people called out sick to take their kids to the zoo. So, after Brayden's swimming class we took off. Without a parking spot in sight we ended up in 'BFE' (anyone else remember that?) Hiking to the zoo entrance wasn't bad and waiting in line wasn't too terrible either, though we could have cut that part out as we already had tickets, but we didn't know that. Once we got inside we saw every animal there was to see...slowly. Brayden loves to linger so we looked and looked, a lot. At lunch time we found we were lucky enough to be near the zoo's wild life show so we settled ourselves down and ate our lunch. To my dismay the show was mostly a bird show, with lots of the winged rats, BUT I will admit that as I watched the show and saw the Golden Eagles, Falcons, Owls, Vultures (yes, even the vulture), and Bald Eagle I was in awe. It was so cool to see them fly! I decided that large birds are ok...they are much bigger than a rat anyway...it's just the little ones that will give me goosebumps (and not the good kind). After the bird show we had elephant ears, yes that makes the total elephant ear up to three this summer. Excellent. We spent the next few hours wandering around looking at different animals and waiting for the next bird show to start (we missed the first 5 minutes of the last one, so we thought we really should see it again ;) The day was perfect, until Audri got bored. She wanted to go home and no amount of prodding or bribery was going to make her happy. She sat in the stroller and proclaimed: 'I don't want to see any animals NEVER again!' as I tried to distract her I asked her what her favorite animal was, to which she held up her closed fist and muttered 'ZERO!' Yeah. We just pushed along anyway. Eventually, once she saw she was NOT going to win, she snapped out of it, and I do think enjoyed the rest of the day. So, that was our trip to the zoo. Aren't you glad you waited for that?

1 comment:

jodi said...

Flying Rats! You crack me up girl.